Monday, December 8, 2008

Back From Hiatus...The Long Road Home

WE'RE GOING HOME!!! 15 months is almost over. It would have been rather bittersweet for me had I not met kitten, but now it's the only thing I've thought about for the past few months. We have been apart for about 2 weeks now, and it's been terrible. 

I don't show it much to kitten, but it's killing me. I stay in my room all day waiting for her to come online so I can talk to her. Typically, as soon as I have to leave to go eat, she comes online. It would be nice to talk on the phone or something, but that's not possible right now. Our conversations are like drinking ocean water when you're thirsty - it seems like I'm quenching my desire to talk, but after she leaves, I only want more. Is that "un-domly" (totally not a word) of me? I don't give a crap. I miss my kitten. 

We recently got told that we were going home two days later than we thought, so that sucks. I have changed my counter to reflect the new, shittier countdown. On the bright side, we will get to see each other in Kuwait soon. I'm going to try my hardest to get us some alone time, and perhaps another trip to the portapotty (check out her blog for a story about our first portapotty adventure). It may seem gross to you, but seriously, at this point, not much grosses me out anymore. I've driven through streets that were flooded not with water, as you would think, but shit. It's so deep that sometimes, if you drive fast enough, you can get it to wash up over the top of the truck and splash on the poor gunner's face. My lieutenant managed to fall, face-first, into a shit river. We have seen much worse than a portapotty. So, before you judge us, remember perspective. The portapotty is the only place we can be alone and private, if even just for a few minutes. You forget about the smell when you're desperate. Anyway, enough about the portapotty.

No comments: